Monday 22 February 2010

Cho Dang Tofu & BBQ (Diamond Bar, CA)

"I had thought about trying it out, but I never thought it'd actually happen," my Dad said. Sam came to spend Valentine's Day weekend (it was also President's weekend and Chinese New Year--so don't take that the wrong way), but he was sick his entire time in Orange County. So when we asked if he wanted anything particular to eat, he requested Korean tofu soup.

Now be warned: my family rarely eats Korean food. My dad is not a soup guy. Nor is he a tofu guy. So we had very different experiences, since mom and I appreciate both soup and tofu. The restaurant is in the same plaza as Tealicious (where we sometimes go for watermelon juice, milk tea, and fried pork chops) and Green Bay Bakery. It's fairly spacious and was pretty empty when we got there late in the afternoon.

Sam and I each ordered soon doobu chiggae--Sam got the house special (with seafood, beef, pork, and veggies) and I got the beef. I was tempted to order the mushroom tofu soup, but the waitress recommended the beef. I can't speak for Sam (though you rarely hear him complain about food), but I was pretty excited when the soup came out boiling.

Mine was mildly spicy and had a really nice flavor. I had checked online to see which nearby Korean restaurant had the best soup. There were several recommended restaurants, but we decided the Yelp reviews of Cho Dang were the most convincing. Anyways, I really love eating the soup together with the rice.

Dad and Mom shared an order of bibimbap, a hot stone pot with rice, meat, and vegetables. They both agreed that it wasn't very tasty; they tried to add some salt, and my dad doesn't really like covering his food in spicy sauce. He really wanted to add some chinese sausage to it.

They had very little variety in the side dishes and they all had the same taste, except the fried fish. Then again, we didn't go there for the side dishes, but for the tofu soup. The most redeeming part of the meal, at least according to my dad, was the complimentary self-serve soft serve. When I expressed guilt over Dad's disappointing meal, he looked out the window and answered, "Nothing a Jumbo Jack won't fix."


Cho Dang Tofu & BBQ
1155 S. Diamond Bar Blvd.
Diamond Bar, CA 91765
(909) 861-6565

No comments:

Post a Comment