Friday 15 January 2010

Tranquil Tea Lounge (Fullerton, CA)

Katie and I wanted to meet somewhere in between our houses--a place where we could sit and chat for awhile. I'd been to Tranquil Tea Lounge once or twice, but I'd only had tea. We got there at 3:30 and were surprised at how crowded it was. A large group of Asian high schoolers had the corner lounge couches, but we were able to get a small table, though we were uncomfortably close to the table next to us.

The cafe is run by a brother and sister, so when things got busy, the service was slow. I actually had to go ask for menus, and then the food and drinks took a long time. Fortunately, we weren't really in a rush. And they're both really friendly, helpful, and knowledgeable (and attentive when it's not crowded), especially when it comes to the different teas.

Located near Wilshire and Harbor in the middle of Fullerton's trendy downtown, Tranquil tea lounge is very comfortable and chic. There's usually plenty of seating, convenient power plugs, and they encourage you to hang out and use Downtown Fullerton's free wi-fi.

I hadn't eaten anything all day, so I ordered the "Tranquil Tea Trio": half of a prosciutto sandwich, a caesar salad, and the "Juicy Watermelon" herbal tea. The sandwich had prosciutto, mozzarella, arugula, and sun-dried tomato pesto; it wasn't the best I've had, but it was still satisfying.

Katie got the macaroons (Earl Grey, green tea, and chocolate) and the Mauna Loa, a strange combination of white chocolate, almonds, macadamias, pistachios, and tea--a little too nutty for my tastes. It was my first time trying macaroons, and Katie's too.

They told us that they actually make the macaroons themselves, but we didn't really know what to expect. Their texture is similar to that of the meringue cookies that Katie made; the texture is a little bit sticky. Inside, there's a little bit of creamy filling too. I liked the subtle Earl Grey, and Katie favored the chocolate (which I didn't try). The green tea was nice too, but a little stronger flavored.

As far as teas go, I love loose leaf tea, and the option to smell all of their different options. They have a massive tea list, so it's a little bit of a challenge to decide which tea you want to try. I've had the Geisha's Kiss and the Lotus Blossom, which were both really good. The tea is a little pricier than a drink at a boba shop, but they give you a tall glass and another small carafe. Overall, Katie and I enjoyed our time together, and I always love good tea.


Tranquil Tea Lounge
106 W. Wilshire Ave.
Fullerton, CA 92832
(714) 869-3577
www.tranquiltealounge.com

M-Sat: 9am-9pm
Sun: 11am-6pm

No comments:

Post a Comment